Rebuilt after the war, the city entered a "Golden Age", becoming the largest city in Mississippi between 1890 and 1930 and a leading center for manufacturing in the South. It had 44 trains coming in and out daily.
The downtown historic district has the largest number of historic buildings in the state. Meridian has nine historic districts and neighborhoods that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Merrehope is a restored 26-room Victorian mansion that was used during the Civil war as the headquarters for Confederate General Lenidas Polk. It was spared destruction by Union General William T. Sherman.
Highland Park began in the late 19th century. At the time Highland Park was designed, there was a national trend for streetcar pleasure parks. The Meridian Light and Railway Company followed the national trend, building a rail line from 8th Street and west into Highland Park.
The platform for the streetcar line was located in the northeast corner of the park at the main entrance. A promenade connected the platform with a small pool, the carousel house and a gazebo.
In the 1930's, two swimming pools were built. A small fighter jet was located in the park between the pools and the promenade in 1972. In addition to the Carousel House, a museum honoring Jimmie Rodgers, a steam locomotive are located in the park.
The Jimmy Rodger’s Museum and Dentzel Carousel are separate posts.